02 apríla, 2010

Good Friday - Ah, Holy Jesus

The Good Friday is here. But the only thing that is good about it is that Sunday will be here soon. For on Good Friday, the ultimate sin - rejection of God - has happened. By Jews and pagans in Jerusalem 2 000 years ago and by us even today, when we sin against the Most Holy One.
Yet, we can still call this day a good day, because it's the day of God's grace, when Jesus laid down His very life for those who rejected Him, so there would be a way for the sinners to come to forgiveness and turn back to Him. Jesus Himself said it best on the cross: Father, forgive them (Luke 23:34). So lets mourn for a while. But not for long. Because Sunday's coming. And Jesus knew what He was saying when He said: So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you (John 16:22).

This is a hymn I found of DesiringGod.org this morning. As I read it (and heard it sung) it helped me to realize the reality of this day. 

Ah, holy Jesus, how hast Thou offended,
That man to judge Thee hath in hate pretended?
By foes derided, by Thine own rejected,
O most afflicted. 


Who was the guilty? Who brought this upon Thee?
Alas my treason, Jesus, hath undone Thee.
’Twas I, Lord Jesus, I it was denied Thee.
I crucified Thee.


For me, kind Jesus, was Thy incarnation,
Thy mortal sorrow, and Thy life’s oblation;
Thy death of anguish and Thy bitter passion,
For my salvation.


Lo, the Good Shepherd for the sheep is offered;
The slave hath sinned, and the Son hath suffered;
For our atonement, while he nothing heedeth,
God intercedeth.


Therefore, kind Jesus, since I cannot pay Thee,
I do adore Thee, and will ever pray Thee.
Think on Thy pity and Thy love unswerving,
Not my deserving. 


You can listen to the hymn here: http://songsandhymns.org/player/?hymn=ah-holy-jesus-how-hast-thou-offended 

Žiadne komentáre: